Dr. Tim Gerstmar is the clinic director of Aspire Natural Health in Redmond, Washington in the USA, where he practices integrative “functional” medicine. He sees patients from around the world, and specializes in treating gut dysfunctions, autoimmune diseases, and cases that have stumped other doctors.
PRESENTATION: Mitochondria: The Microbiome Inside Your Cells
While many people have learned about the microbiome – the collection of bacteria in our gut that influence health or disease – most people don’t know about the OTHER microbiome, the one inside our cells. Our intracellular microbiome – otherwise known as our mitochondria – have been linked to a wide variety of disease states, and if we want to stay healthy we need to pay as much attention to our mitochondria as our microbiome.
- Discuss the evolution of eukaryotic life from bacteria in brief
- What are mitochondria and what do they do for us
- Very brief discussion of genetic mitochondrial diseases
- How the environmental mismatch is leading to a host of functional mitochondrial problems – such as fatty liver disease, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, MS, heart disease, cancer, and more
- Functional medicine testing for mitochondrial function
- Steps to take to get and keep healthy mitochondria